Saturday, January 20

Mission

To follow-up on two posts from last year:

The rainy days mystery:

I was recounting how I had a mission to complete, and I positively had to do so before the long rain stopped. At that time, in mid-September, it rained for over a week straight, without a clearing in the sky. As you may know, I most love rainy weather. At the time, I was falling deeply in love with Lillian, who at the time had no particular interest in me. I knew that in order to make steps forward in my dream to gain admittance into her heart, I must first purify my heart. Well, the mission was successful, in that I was honestly able to sublimate my love for her, such as to truly wish her happiness and success, regardless of the results for me - regardless of whether or not whe would reciprocate the kind of love I had. Hurray! and now look at me: the happiest man alive!

Unhappy danio:

In another post, I mentioned how I had to face how sometimes I am unhappy. Well to contradict the last sentence from the last paragraph, I have recently found myself feeling unhappy more frequently than I can remember in long years. It has a lot to do with my job in primary school, where I cannot control the classroom, I get exhausted and impatient, failing to serve consummately in my workplace. I just decided to try to take concrete measure to help ensure that the standard jubilant danio's demeanor endures. I don't know how I'll do that, but it's exciting to really tackle this mission full-on. One new aspect is the presence of my life-long companion, Lillian, who is here to listen to me and accompany me on my mission. The sense of companionship is most precious (even though I remain a weirdo for living life the way I do - such a dreamer-thinker that danio...)

7 comments:

don Eric said...

Interesting...so this is how a Baha'i gets people to fall in love with them? I could use your advice on this topic, whenever you get the chance...

danio said...

The answer is a firm "No." If anything, it's the opposite: it's how a Baha'i can be truly happy with the possibility that the one most desired will _not_ fall in love with him. It's a process of developing unconditional love - an ability which once embraced helps all else in life go smoothly.

Anonymous said...

there is a book coming out one teaching called "teach like your hair is on fire" i'll check it out and get it for you if it looks good

peter

Mara Noelle said...

Danio, I don't know how much access you have to websites that might have helpful info on classroom control, but I imagine it must be out there. Rachael is taking courses on it now and LOVES them and how it's helped her in the classroom!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I've been having very similar issues with regards to control in my classroom(s). Here's something I did that has helped a bit (I got the suggestion from a book but can't remember the name at the moment!)

My students and I spent about 40 minutes one morning discussing rules for the classroom. I had them come up with suggestions for our rules. It was interesting what they suggested. "No touching people, no tapping your pencil, being nice, etc..". We discussed each rule and why it would help create a better learning environment. Then each student chose a rule to write and illustrate and I posted them throughout the room.

I think it helped them take some ownership and it put the rules in a language they better understood. It's not at all perfect and I have much to learn, but I have to admit, the behaviors from some (not all) have improved since we did that activity.

My students are probably a bit older than yours but the teachers in the book I read were working with 1st and 2nd graders so I think it's something that can be tried at any age!

Working with children can be exhausting and for me, it's been the discipline/control issues that have been the most difficult. Bottom line: I hear ya!

And keep up that wonderful service :)

love,
Liza

Anonymous said...

Oh and congrats! Brent and I loved watching the video of the two of you. Lillian seems so awesome and we can't wait to meet her (and see you again!).

~Liza

Patty said...

I'm sorry that the behavior/discipline problem at school is so hard. I know what you are going through. But just remind yourself that you are trying not to hurt them when you discipline the students. It's hard when that is all you see around you. It takes patience and love and understanding. Mommy