Wednesday, October 17

Service & Family

I have entered entered a phase of my life where I am developing a new understanding of service, especially with respect to family. Lillian and I are really looking forward to meeting with all of the parents together in December. My parents are making a big effort and sacrificing a lot of resources to make it out to Xin Jiang.
My sister might come and stay at our apartment for a couple of months next year!
Down the road a little, Lillian and I are seriously considering (almost firmly decided on) inviting her parents to move in with us after they retire, and stay a few months every year in the meanwhile. They are really worried about being a burden, but I think it will be so good, especially for our children to always have their grandparents around. What a blessing! I remember when I was growing up in Martinique and my grandmother stayed with us for some two years. That was so special.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I thought that this was totally the expectation in China! Parents labaour all their lives for their kids and get to retire on the fat of the land.

Unknown said...

Can you send me an email of what kind of costs one would expect across country in China?

Unknown said...

For travelling, that is.

Diana said...

Danio you are awesome. We went to school together in Alaska, but I don't think you'd remember me. Congrats on the wedding! You and your wife look happy.

danio said...

Mendon, yes, it is more common in China for children to follow this pattern in China, and take care of their parents as they age. However, in a city like Shanghai, the standards are changing, and the younger generation cares less about the older. As for my family, since I'm a Westerner, my parents-in-law don't quite always know what to expect of me, so I think they try to assume the least.