Friday, April 21

Tricia

Did you know I actually have two sisters? Most likely you didn't, because I always say I only have one. In the last few weeks, this has changed.

I have two sisters: Charlotte and Tricia. They are twins. Tricia was stillborn.

I remember when I was growing up with Charlotte, she would talk about Tricia some times, and would speak of their relationship - an unfathomable relationship between this world and the next. I guess I never made much of it, because I have never really thought about Tricia much.

This has changed recently. It began to dawn on me a few weeks ago that I should also feel a connection to my late sister, even though she had already long died by the time I was born. The strength of blood relationships is truly amazing. Maybe Tricia was somehow molded with Charlotte in my mind at some point, but there is a reawakening in me. I was teaching about twins and genetics last week, and I told the class that I have two sisters. I again said so a couple of times since. Obviously, this only works if I maybe already know the person, we are comfortable together, and there is time to explain how I only have one living sister on this earthly plane.

Today I mourned Tricia, and decided I should pray again for her and write about her. Thank you for sharing this precious moment with us.

No comments: