Monday, November 21

Ninjas

I just remembered one of the coolest things that happened to me, after posting a link to realultimatepower.net!

It was a beautiful rainy day in the early spring of 2003. I was standing on the back veranda of the Student Commons at UIUC, facing the quad. There probably barely a dozen people in the whole quad, when suddenly, two ninjas appeared on opposite sides (I can only presume that these were students enacting this because of a bet, or something equally ridiculous). They started walking toward each other, engaged in a dialogue about honor or something totally sweet like that. (Again, there was nobody, so I had to be one of two or three audience members, and I saw no one with a camera.)

Then the two ninjas dashed toward each other, crossed each other, exchanging blows with their swords (fake, from what I could tell), and stopping again some six feet away from each other. One had obviously been hit. They went on to fight for a good two minutes! It seemed somewhat choreographed, and rather amateur, but TOTALLY SWEET nonetheless.

Then they stopped, tired and beat. They resumed their dialogue, which ended with one ninja telling the other, "I am your father", answered by, "NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!"

I don't remember quite how it ended, but I vowed never to forget that immemorial event.


Another great memory is when some 8 of us friends dressed up as ninjas to kidnap Brent (quite a struggle), enact a kung fu-inspired scene where he saved the day, and took him to Dave & Buster's for an evening of fun. This was his last bachelor party - combined with Nate's, post-vowaging.

Oh the good times...

1 comment:

danio said...

I don't know - considering the great powers of a Brentos, the kidnapping job was more than satisfactory. The overall difficulty and the blows we took actually add to the quality of the kidnapping...