Thursday, September 1

Saul Williams --- I met Saul Williams at the immigration office in Ottawa! It was just him, his travel manager and myself behind the counter. I actually didn't recognize him, but after several minutes going through interrogation and hearing the guys next to me talking to their assigned immigration officer about a show they were giving in town, I did finally hear the manager speak his name.



Not quite lamely, I turned and said, "Did I hear Saul Williams?", he nodded peacefully, "THE Saul Williams?!?" - to which he leaned forward, asking "What's your name" while extending his hand. I shook it and said "danio".


I went on to say something like, "I really love and appreciate your work. I often say of my favorite artists that they are doing the work that _needs_ to be done - a lot of people aren't." He said thank you.



It's worthy of noting that I had already noticed the travel manager in the O'Hare airport, who was talking on the phone in a very meaningful language - hard to say it otherwise. From what I caught, he was talking to someone about life, value, growth, art, effort, and all kinds of inspiring-sounding things - especially to my danio-ears...


As for Saul Williams, he exhuded the most amazingly serene aura, peering into my eyes and searching for purpose and intention (maybe). He asked me where I was from and mentioned he had seen plenty of lovely pictures of Martinique.


I did introduce myself to his companion as well, but I unfortunately forgot his name. As Saul left and said goodbye, I said, "I will sincerely pray for your continued success. God bless you."



My Chicago-Ottawa boarding pass is signed by him: "Many blessings on your journey."

No comments: