Monday, July 10

Cannot Wallow

I've tried a couple of times to wallow in my not-so-great day today, but it don't work! I just start smiling at myself for the perfection of this life and my every moment.

I've often taken issue with the lack of hardship in my life. Today is the first not-so-great day that I can remember since I've arrived in Shanghai, and it's only because I couldn't get a cleaning for my teeth, and I probably miss spending most of my day with children...

I came to the realization a few days ago that my life may serve as an example - at least for myself. There has been so much suffering on this planet for so long, only worsening, that many believe that can only define our human life and civilization by its misery. Many spiritual scriptures confirm that we only gain true happiness through hardship. At the same time, though, Baha'u'llah says that this is the day that will not be followed by night, so I want to believe that our future holds a promise of true peace, harmony and joy.

Maybe my life so far (and maybe into the future) is a demonstration that the sacrifices of the people before me, who gave so much for future generations (i.e. me), can help beautify what it is to be human - gaining and growing without having to suffer so much - and still being able to truly grow spiritually. In any case, I am always grateful, even if I know I don't deserve all of these blessings. But then of course, I do deserve them in a way, because they are what providence has ordained.

On another note, thank you "V for Vendetta" for yet again pointing out the problems of our world without truly providing beauty or direction. At a recent performance, a philosopher shared his thoughts that society is going through depression, and each individual needs to go through the same process and come out on the other side. He mentions the popularity of Radiohead's "Kid A" as a sign of this world-wide depression. Well, I don't seem to be depressed, although I occasionally week bitter tears for the condition of my brothers and sisters suffering around the world.

For those I encounter in my life though, you can catch me on the merry-go-round, calling out your name to come for a ride. Heck, I even often come down and walk around to invite folk over.

There's a song in my heart, and I think I hear it in yours also.

No comments: