Thursday, August 17

Bright Sight

In brief:

* Grandma's visit
The week my grandma spent here was splendid. We visited much of Shanghai, had a most lovely time in Hangzhou, she visited some of the classes I teach, and met many of my friends. The friends gave her gifts to add to the huge lot that she was taking home. She got back safely and is back at work.

* Suzhou
I traveled with two of my friends to Suzhou. There's an expression in China that goes something like, Heaven has paradise, and Earth has Suzhou and Hangzhou. And the good news! I got a new memory card, so you'll soon see pictures!

* Zhuhai
I am currently in Zhuhai, in the South of China, near Macau and Hong Kong. I have been taking a course in psychology - family consulting, along the lines of psychotherapy. I quit half-way through, though, because I feel it's not fit for me. Instead, I've been sick all day everyday, while friends are taking care of me, and I'm doing other things, mostly in my head.

* NewBeat
This is the longest by far I've been without teaching English to the lovely children, and if I weren't sick, I'd miss them a lot more! I'm getting a raise in September, and hopefully a better schedule. I'm also considering adding a whole year to my contract, which would keep me at NewBeat through Jan 2008! I have finally met with Yuklan Fong, the founder of NewBeat, and we've had two meetings over the last 24 hours. It's been great hearing about the history and vision of this school.

* Macau
Tomorrow I will visit Macau for the second time, then I'm headed back home to Shanghai on Sat morning. Once I'm back, I can see about these pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2008! Wow, that's fantastic. I'd love to spend some time in China, teaching English, or any subject. I loved tutoring the kids in math when I was in Gambia. That was very cool.

Take care of yourself and make sure that you have some duck, just to be funny.

Patty said...

I'm glad that Mom could see some of your classes so that she can see what you do most of the time there. Patty